December 8, 2015 – Dates, Times, and History

For the past few days, I have been reading through my Big Creek Journals and deleting dates, changing times from 24-hour to 12-hour or deleting them altogether, and writing a little history paragraph about Big Creek. Patricia Ross had said that an essay has observations and then reflections on those observations.  I realized that I do have some reflection and perhaps just need to expand on that. I am a bit encouraged.

There was once a logging operation and town, called Crestmont, in the Big Creek watershed when the park commission began acquiring property for the park in the 1920s. I found some old photos in the ranger station and photographed them. The only remnants left of the logging operation and the town are some pieces of metal, bricks, and strange cement structures in the woods.

I have tried and failed to match these photos to today’s reality. I can’t even find Big Creek.

Crestmont Lumber Mill

Buildings in Crestmont NC

Crestmont from Hill

Advertisements

13 thoughts on “December 8, 2015 – Dates, Times, and History

1. Neil Jordan December 8, 2015 / 8:21 pm

Don’t get discouraged. The photos remind me of old ones in the family of the gold mine my father worked at. He was the mule skinner; his mule Judy pulled the ore carts out of the mine. The only location I had was Whiskey Creek, a tributary of the Rogue River in Oregon.

That was in the 1930s. In the 1970s I went back there with copies of the old photos and a USGS quad sheet trying to find the location. As I walked along a logging road near where I thought location was, a Forest Survice crew drove up. They assured me I was there. I showed them the pictures, and they were astounded that such a large operation was swallowed up by the forest.

One of the things swallowed up was the big cyanide tank where they leached out the gold. The spent cyanide might have been carefully packaged and shipped to a licensed chemical disposal facility to protect the environment. Or maybe not.

I went to the Nano TGIO luncheon on Sunday. One of the writers mentioned that she used Scrivener to assemble a project from miscellaneous pieces. It works like the old notecard method. You put the pieces on notecards, then arrange them.

2. davekingsbury December 9, 2015 / 8:02 pm

Interesting blog, will follow. Glad you liked my post and are following mine.

• Dinata Misovec December 9, 2015 / 10:05 pm

Thank you. It is always interesting to me to see what others are blogging, even if I am not particularly interesting in their topic. I always learn something.

Liked by 1 person

3. Dinata Misovec December 9, 2015 / 9:13 pm

I have studied that photo, imagining the picture taken from different spots, and still can’t find the creek in the picture. It has to go through that holding pond, but I can’t see it.

4. Debbie December 9, 2015 / 11:51 pm

Great pictures! I know it is hard to picture such a beautiful place as Big Creek as we now know it as a busy bustling lumber town!

5. milliethom December 11, 2015 / 8:54 am

It is always difficult to match the locations of past settlements/sites to the modern ones. Modern buildings so often completely obscure former structures. The old photos are wonderful, but are there any old maps available as well as more recent ones? I hope you do manage to locate the creek, Dinata, especially if it’s important to your book. Best wishes for success in this.

6. Dinata Misovec December 11, 2015 / 3:23 pm

There are a number of mysteries in Big Creek that I was not able to solve. I even went to the park archivist who pulled out the old maps for us to study. The town that was in our location was leveled when the park was established. They sought to preserve the older culture of frontier long cabins, not the “modern” logging operation, so they did not mark any of it on the old maps.Apparently, there was not enough level, arable land in the Big Creek watershed to support and settlers, so there were no old homesteads there.