Mequon Nature Preserve

OK, I’ll tell you right up front.  I wore my old boring plain white New Balance sneakers today.  They are cushy. Also, didn’t know what our walk would be like and didn’t want to get any of my new shoes dirty.

I have noticed the Mequon Nature Preserve when we’ve driven by for several years now.  There are so many places to take nice walks here that we simply had not gotten around to the nature preserve yet. My gut was not happy this morning so we waited until I felt confident to go out.  We didn’t get there until nearly 11:00.  There were a lot of cars in the parking lot and a good many people inside the education building.  As soon as we were through the doors, I realized that it was a church using the space for worship.  The service was over. Andy thought we had come upon a party and headed for the food table. He was intercepted by a very friendly man who introduced himself and invited us to return for the service next week. They must be accustomed to having hikers drop in.

I picked up a trail map from a stand near the door and we headed out. Oh, before we go, something interesting.  The mission of the Mequon Nature Preserve is to acquire the land and return one square mile of Ozaukee County to its pre-European state.  Wisconsin was forest.  Settlers cut down the trees for the wood to build houses, furniture, tools, and fires in the fireplaces and cook stoves.  They plowed the land for their crops and pastures. Now, they have a one-hundred-year plan to restore the land to its natural state.

b1 White Spherical Flower
Cephalanthus occidentalis Button bush, Honey balls.  Perfectly round, white flowers perfume the air in Aug. & Sept. Red leaf stems contrast with green foliage.

I am not going to attempt to identify all these yellow daisy-like flowers.  It’s getting late.

b2 Yellow Daisy Like Flower

b3 Purple Pickerel Rush
Purple Pickerel Rush

b4 Yellow Flower

b5 Yellow Daisy Like Flower

b6 Yellow Flower

b7 Andy looking in Pond

b8 Small Yellow Daisy Flowers

b9 Large Daisy Like Flower

All the yellow flowers, well most, were in the wetlands area. Then we followed the trails between corn fields to he observation tower.

b91 Path Between Corn Fields

b92 Acres of Queen Anne's Lace
Acres of Queen Anne’s Lace

b93 Observation Tower
Observation Tower

b95 Path to Observation Tower
View to South of Path to Observation Tower and Queen Anne’s Lace

b96 Tiny Toad
Tiny Toad in the Grass

b97 Sulpher Butterfly
Sulpher Butterfly on Clover

b98 Large Yellow Daisy Like Flower

b99 Trail Map
One Square Mile

There are still more trails to explore so we’ll go back.

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Mequon Nature Preserve

1. pensitivity101 August 8, 2016 / 4:07 am

Lovely flowers! For the first time in years we have come across pink clover on our travels instead of just white. Still no sighting of a four leave clover though.

• Dinata Misovec August 8, 2016 / 10:02 am

Odd. I wonder if the colors are regional. I don’t recall ever thinking about where I am when they are white or when they are blue. I’m going to have to start paying more attention. You reminded me. I would spend hours and hours looking for four-leaf clover when I was a kid. Singing the song. “I’m looking over a four-leaf clover that I overlooked before”.

Liked by 1 person

• pensitivity101 August 8, 2016 / 11:27 am

I wondered if it was something to do with the soil like our hydrangeas over here. I’ve been fascinated with the colour of poppies here since we arrived two years ago….. red of course, but white, orange , purple and pink!

• Dinata Misovec August 8, 2016 / 3:08 pm

I am familiar with the color of hydrangeas depending on the acidity of the soil, but never considered that a factor with other flowers. The US Arboretum web site mentions petunias and moring glories also changing with aciditiy. That page also says they are messing with the plant’s genes to make any color imaginable.

Liked by 1 person

2. Bernadette August 8, 2016 / 7:19 am

You have a keen eye. Thanks for taking me along during your amble.

• Dinata Misovec August 8, 2016 / 9:58 am

It was lovely having you along Bernadette. At least, it was nice knowing I was going to share the pictures.

3. milliethom August 9, 2016 / 6:48 am

Beautiful photos, Dinata, and how wonderful to hear of the 100 year plan to return the area to it’s natural, pre-European state. That’s a big, long-term project. It’s good that nowadays, some people are showing so much more concern for the environment.

• Dinata Misovec August 9, 2016 / 9:49 pm

I was very impressed with such a long-range plan. I hope all the property owners in that one-square mile are going to cooperate. Wisconsin is “America’s Dairyland” and the whole region was dairy farms. One of the things that makes this area so charming is the abundance of old farm houses and dairy barns. I suppose I’m not going to be around long enough to see it returned to forest, however, there are a few small trees sprouting up here and there amongst the prairie flowers.