December 21, 2015 – Millie Thom

I recently finished reading two books, of a three-book series.  It occurred to me yesterday, that I should write a book review, as I’ve seen other bloggers do. Actually, maybe not a book review really.  That doesn’t suit my personality.  But I still feel compelled to share them with you.

They are historical novels set in England in the 800s, when the Danes began invading, or flooding in as most unwelcome immigrants. Of the two main characters, King Alfred of Wessex is a real historical figure and Eadwulf of Mercia is fictional. According to her Amazon page, the author is a former geography and history teacher with a degree in geology and a particular passion for the Anglo-Saxon and Viking period.

I love a good story, and if I’m learning some history in the process, all the better.  As soon as I finished the first book, I downloaded the second so I could continue. You may as well buy both right up front or you will have to download the second book to continue after the last page of the first book.

I borrowed the covers from Amazon.

Now I am waiting for the third in the series to find out if England survives the onslaught.

Share this with your reading friends.

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “December 21, 2015 – Millie Thom

1. Ann Elliott December 21, 2015 / 10:12 pm

England survives! Ann

Sent from my iPad

Liked by 1 person

• Erin Wick December 25, 2015 / 9:23 am

I haven’t read any of them and was thinking of reading all three now they’re all spoiled! Maybe I still will!

2. M. L. Kappa December 21, 2015 / 11:13 pm

These sound interesting. Do you think they’d be suitable for a (precocious) child of nine? My eldest grandson is a terrible bookworm, and we’re hard pressed fining new things for him to read. He’s devoured all of Harry Potter and Pullman, loves fantasy. Could try him with history, but it mustn’t be too violent or have sex scenes….

3. Dinata Misovec December 21, 2015 / 11:29 pm

I don’t know the child, so it’s hard for me to say. It is not gory violent, but those vikings did bash heads in and other gruesome stuff. I’ll say there is no graphic, gratuitous violence. There is no sex that I recall.

4. Frank Wilmer December 23, 2015 / 6:06 am

You will probably never have an aging brain with all the “brainy” stuff you do! jane

Sent from my iPad

Liked by 1 person

• Dinata Misovec December 23, 2015 / 8:58 am

Well, I don’t know about brainy. That’s Andy’s department.

5. milliethom January 4, 2016 / 4:26 pm

Oh Dinata, I didn’t know you’d written this fo me! You must have posted it about the same time as I did my last blog post before Christmas. As I said, I had a longish break, as we had all 6 children, with partners and offspring, all over the holiday – which meant a lot of catering. All I can say is a big (belated) thank you for reading my books. I’m now pushing on with Book 3, so I won’t be on WP too often for a while. I hope to manage once a week, but even that may have to stop for a while. Many thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write this post.I really appreciate it, and am truly sorry for not spotting it sooner.

• Dinata Misovec January 4, 2016 / 7:58 pm

You are welcome but, I didn’t do it for you. I did it for any of my readers who might like a good read!

Liked by 1 person

• milliethom January 5, 2016 / 6:57 am

Well, I still want to thank you for the ‘shout out’ (if that’s the right expression). I’ll be sure to reciprocate, when the time comes.