August 15, 2018 – Eureka to Clovis, California

I don’t see how a person could drive down California 101 and not be changed by the experience.  The scenery is stunning and the groves of redwoods are spiritual.  Of course, I don’t have any photos because I was driving. So, I copied a few from Google Images

Image result for california route 101

Related image

Image result for california route 101

Image result for california route 101

Farther south, we came to wine country in Mendocino and Sonoma counties.

Image result for california route 101

We turned off of CA 101 at Petaluma and headed for the Richmond Bridge at the north end of the San Francisco Bay.  That is when the bad, bad traffic began.  We crawled through Berkley, Oakland, San Leandro and then turned East on I-580 to Livermore. Traffic was moving at the speed limit on I-5, but there was a lot of it.  We got off and headed through fruit and vegetable orchards and fields until we reached CA-99 and headed toward Fresno.  We turned off CA-99 at Madera and arrived at Erin’s house after dark, almost nine o’clock.

Erin and Gus were reading the children their bedtime stories.  She gave us instructions for parking at the side of the house and plugging into electricity.  She said we could use the bathroom and kitchen in the mother-in-law apartment there.

We slept with the back doors of the van open and listened to the coyotes howl and the dogs bark all night long.

Sister  Barbara complained that I had not posted any pictures of Cordelia.  I had taken some, but they were not very flattering so I did not post them.  Cordelia sent me two that she likes.

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “August 15, 2018 – Eureka to Clovis, California

1. Ann Moulton Elliott August 17, 2018 / 9:49 pm

Totally agree, the 101 is a spiritual journey! I kept stopping to get out and take pictures

• Dinata Misovec August 17, 2018 / 9:56 pm

I should have! Andy gets anxious on the road so I just keep rolling.

• Dinata Misovec August 22, 2018 / 2:01 pm

Even more fabulous in real life. I wish I could capture that with my camera and relive it for the rest of my life.

• pensitivity101 August 22, 2018 / 2:24 pm

I felt like that in NZ. I got some great photos, but the colours weren’t a patch on the vibrancy of the real thing.

2. pameladbeverly August 20, 2018 / 11:49 am

If I heard coyotes howling and dogs barking, I would’ve shut and locked the doors, lol.

Are there any fires raging in those areas?

• Dinata Misovec August 22, 2018 / 1:59 pm

We saw a smoky haze in the sky on the drive, but there were no fires close by. Thank goodness.